Applications for the main Panorama DTP studentship competition (for October 2020 entry) are now open. The deadline for applications is Monday 6th January 2020, interviews will take place at the University of Leeds during the week of 24th February 2020.
If you wish to be considered for one of the projects proposed in the Panorama DTP, the application process is set out in the steps below. Please note that you should submit your application to the University of Leeds even if the academic you wish to work with is based at York or Hull.
Eligibility and funding
Unless stated otherwise, we offer fully funded 3.5 year studentships (stipend + fees) to both UK and EU applicants at the standard UKRI rate.
We are unable to offer studentships to non-EU international candidates.
Contact the lead supervisor of your chosen project to register your interest, and to ensure that he/she will be able to effectively support your application. In many cases potential supervisors may be able to arrange initial visits to Leeds, York or Hull to discuss the work. Please note that you can only apply for 1 project within the DTP.
An On-Line Study Application (OLA) should be submitted to Leeds via University Application for Research Degree Study. In the ‘Planned Course of Study’ section, the programme code that should be selected is ‘NERC PANORAMA DTP’; it is important that you select that programme of study. In the ‘Research Area/Title’ section the OLA you should simply input the full title of the project that you wish to be considered for and the supervisors’ names. Your application cannot receive consideration until you provide all supporting documents, as follows:
- Curriculum vitae (CV)/resumé which shows a high level of academic achievement and appropriate non-academic experience. Please include high school results.
- Transcripts and certificates of ALL degrees to date. If you have not yet completed your current degree, you will need to send an official transcript of your results so far.
- Personal Statement. Please provide a personal statement outlining (i) explain why you are interested in your chosen project, (ii) what motivates you to pursue PhD study, (iii) what is your research experience and how does you skill set matches the requirements for your choice of project, and (iv) what is the wider importance of this research project.
- English Language. Generally, if you are from an EU country other than the UK, you may need to meet the English language requirements evidence through an English language test (e.g., IELTS/TOEFL). The test certificate is not required when applying but will be required when registering if you are successful.
- Academic References. Before we can give full consideration to your application, we will need a minimum of two strong academic references. These can be submitted with your application if they are signed, or alternatively, they can be emailed directly by the referee to email@example.com using the Referee’s Report form available to download here. Please note that it is your responsibility to request these references and ensure they that are sent to us.
Interview. We will call the strongest applicants for interview. Interviews for all projects, whether hosted by the University of Leeds, University of York (Wolfson Atmospheric Chemistry Laboratories) or University of Hull (Energy and Environment Institute), will be held in Leeds during the week indicated above. We seek to make offers to students who have the best qualifications for the projects and who perform best at interview.
Offer. We will first make informal offers shortly after interview. Strong candidates whose first choice project is no longer available will be offered an alternative, where possible. Once you accept our offer, we will then make a recommendation for your acceptance for PhD study to the university where the project will be based. That is the university where you will become a registered PhD student and it will send you a formal offer of a study place. The letter will instruct you how to accept the place.
Once you accept the offer of the study place, you will be sent a formal funding letter.